Tuesday, February 9, 2010

45 degrees

Just finished working with 3 goalies from Duxbury HS, a sophomore, junior and a senior. All three are very good, they see the ball well and are pretty athletic. It's funny though they all had one common flaw and its something I see a lot with up and coming goalies. At some point in your career we as goalies are taught to "step" to the ball or as I like to call it, "attack" the ball. What some end up doing (I did it too) is stepping to the shooter and not to the ball. So if a shot is taken to our side (and not directly at us) we have to reach to the ball as we're moving forward towards the shooter...make sense? Our goal is to get our hands and body to the ball. So if a shot comes to my off hip for example, I want to step on a 45 degree angle to where I believe the ball is going. Doing this I'm sort of "meeting the ball" at a certain point before it gets past me. Yeah, I know what am I saying right? Don't let your momentum carry you forward before the shooter releases the ball. If so you will end up reaching to make the save, if you miss its a goal. If we're patient, sit back & see the ball.....then we react and step to the ball......not the shooter. If we miss it, there's a good chance it will hit a piece of your body.

More to come........
You want to get schooled online or on the field? Your call...........www.lax-school.com

No comments:

Post a Comment