Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Video Games not Just for kids

I was up at Lacrosse Unlimited in Weymouth today (store was packed by the way) and I overheard some kids talking about Xbox & PS3 and my favorite game of all time EA Sports NHL. They were talking about the differences between 2009 & 2010, what they liked most about the game, their favorite teams and all that good stuff. Being an avid fan of the game since the old school Sega days (when you could skate around the goal and score almost every single time!) I had to interject and give my 2 cents about this years game. They looked at me like I had two heads! "Coach Daye, you play Playstation??" Of course I play Playstation! What do you think video games were just invented with the birth of Playstation and Xbox??? When I was a kid we had the Atari 2600, the Atari 5200 and Colecovision gaming consoles (then came Nintendo but those were the college days). I basically grew up with a game console as a permanent fixture in my house.........son! The graphics were no where near where they are today (obviously) but the 70's and 80's were the birthplace of today's gaming systems......no doubt. Sorry for the rant but I needed to make sure today's youth had an understanding of why guys like myself are avid video gamers.

Back to EA Sports NHL 2010, I love this game. Not being a hockey player I've taught myself the nuances of the game; the offensive, defensive and fore checking strategies. When I play I try to emulate lax and apply different offensive strategies. I get the puck through X and attack the weak side and try and force a slide and open up a big slap shot from my man Nick Lidstrom. Oh yeah forgot to mention I play and always have played with the Detroit Redwings (since Sega). Defensively I love to play aggressive, high pressure and force my opponent to make quick decisions with the puck. I'm not afraid to sacrifice the body and I love the big hits.

This years game is very similar to 2009 but the passing is a lot more difficult to master that's for sure. Other then that the realistic dekes, moves and bone crunching hits makes this game one of the greatest of all time. When I can find the time my boy Millman and I have our epic battles whether face to face or online. Like I said I have always been the Redwings; he's been the LA Kings (Gretzky) and Flyers (Roenick) back in the Sega days. Then he played with the Avalanche for a little bit before settling with the Dallas Stars for quite sometime now. I wish I knew what our overall record was but if I had to take a guess I would say something like; BD 648-Millman 204.......I'm sure he would disagree but I have owned him for 10+ years!

Think you got what it takes to hang with BD on the ice? Shoot me an email at bd@lax-school.com and we'll trade screen names and get online for some NHL 2010!!

Follow me on twitter.com/lax-school or facebook.com/lax-school

Make sure you're keeping up your training, I'm getting ready to hit the gym in an hour to work with my boy Seto @ MBX!


You want to get schooled online or on the field? www.lax-school.com

No comments:

Post a Comment